From: Jérémy DE ROYER <webobjects-dev@wocommunity.org>
Subject: Re: [WO-DEV] Wonder Java 11 migration
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2021 13:06:35 +0000
To: WebObjects & WOnder Development <webobjects-dev@wocommunity.org>
Hi Hugi,

Thank’s for sharing.

Have a nice upgrade,

Jérémy

Le 27 mars 2021 à 16:41, Hugi Thordarson <webobjects-dev@wocommunity.org> a écrit :

Hi Jérémy!

Many articles go into detail about changes in java versions, but to summarize, here's a diff from 8 to 11: https://javaalmanac.io/jdk/11/apidiff/8/ .
Won't touch the legal aspect though, not being a lawyer… But I don't believe there are many differences.

Java 8 is near EOL and won't receive security updates forever, that alone is a good reason to update. The performance benefits from JVM/GC improvements in recent versions are also very real :).
Java 11 is not really the goal, that version was just chosen since it's the current LTS release and is API compatible with current releases. It gets us over the feared 8/9 hurdle and means we can compile Wonder on current JDKs without keeping old ones around.

But again; for those that want to stay on old java versions the current Wonder version would still be available, so it basically changes nothing.

Cheers,
- hugi

On 27 Mar 2021, at 14:39, Jérémy DE ROYER <webobjects-dev@wocommunity.org> wrote:

Hi Hugi,

For those who are still using Java 8 (due to a « when should I upgrade a well working environment »), do you know a link « release notes » that could point to the main differences between the Java 8 and 11 versions (technical and legal).

And what is the main interest of migrating for you ?

Sorry for my ignorance 😄

Jérémy

Le 27 mars 2021 à 15:29, Hugi Thordarson <webobjects-dev@wocommunity.org> a écrit :

Hi all!

A few of us would like to move the Wonder development branch from Java 8 to Java 11, as a first step in moving to modern java versions.

This means new versions of Wonder would only be compatible with Java version 11 and higher. But the current version (7.2) would of course still be available for those who would like to keep backwards compatibility.

Anyone opposed to this?

Cheers,
- hugi