From: Samuel Pelletier <webobjects-dev@wocommunity.org>
Subject: Re: [WO-DEV] ERXGenericRecord takeValueForKey
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2021 17:47:47 -0400
To: WebObjects & WOnder Development <webobjects-dev@wocommunity.org>
Hi OC,

I think the problem come from the fact ERXGenericRecord extends EOGenericRecord and this class behave like a map and do not need getter and setter for modelled attribute names. Getters and Setters created by EOGenerator are not required by EOF but they are very useful to add type checking to the code.

By exploring tha NSKeyValueCoding with a decompiler, we can see that this method is called to get the method to set a value for a key: _storedKeyGetBindingForKey(String key) declared in the _KeyBindingCreation interface. My guess is the EOGenericRecord implementation of this method do some magic to enable EOGenericRecord map like behaviour for modelled attributes.

So, if you want to disable attribute setters, you may either
- rename the attribute and create a getter that call the real attribute getter
- implement a setter that throw an exception
- add some checking in takeValueForKey and also takeStoredValueForKey (to block both ways)

Maybe extending EOCustomObject directly would also works but you will loose all the ERXGenericRecords stuff...

Regards,

Samuel