From: Markus Ruggierorucotec <markus.ruggiero@rucotec.ch>
Subject: Re: [WO-DEV] Installation on osx Monterey - deployment
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2021 14:20:42 -0500
To: WebObjects & WOnder Development <webobjects-dev@wocommunity.org>
Signed Data (Text SHA256)
Even if you do not go with Maven it is actually very simple.

Edit your build.xml file a little bit (see below). When you ant build your app one file that gets created is UNIXClasspath.txt (or some such) that contains header comments that the run script will use. One such comment is JVMOptions. These are not populated but you can fix this easily:

build.xml:

in the init.properties target define a variable:

<target name="init.properties">
add this >>>> <property name="jvmOptions" value="--add-exports java.base/sun.security.action=ALL-UNNAMED"/>

then in the target build.woapp add jvmOptions=“${jvmOptions}” as you can see on the next line

<woapplication name="${build.app.name}" jvmOptions="${jvmOptions}” frameworksBas ...........

All done, build your deployment app with ant and the woapplication builder will happily put the jvmOptions into the UNIXClasspath.txt file from where the run script will take it an put into the right place on the command line.

One time setup, all done. Its work, I have just recently deployed a Wonder app on Ubuntu 20.something running with JRE 17.

Have fun, IT SIMPLY WORKS! Really, it does. Someone put a lot of thought into this 15 years ago.

---markus---

On 28 Dec 2021, at 07:22, Stavros Panidis <stavros.panidis@gmail.com> wrote:

Hugi,

You are really very kind, many thanks to you and all community.

Stavros

On 28 Dec 2021, at 1:10 PM, Hugi Thordarson <hugi@karlmenn.is> wrote:

Hi Stavros,
here's a quick "getting started guide:

https://gist.github.com/hugith/d2ba6da9e4942f4ece95d7a721159cd1

…and here's a guide to converting an existing Fluffy Bunny application:

https://gist.github.com/hugith/3c269a3196d0c4f2da486f1109c16d42

Don't hesitate to ask if you hit any walls or get errors you have no idea what mean. Those of us that have made this switch have probably hit all the sharp corners :).

Cheers,
- hugi

On 28 Dec 2021, at 11:03, Stavros Panidis <stavros.panidis@gmail.com> wrote:

Dear Paul,

Thank you very much for the info.

I never used Maven before, but since it is the solution I have to do now. Are there any info / documentation /how to on this?

Best regards

Stavros

On 28 Dec 2021, at 8:29 AM, Paul Hoadley <paulh@logicsquad.net> wrote:

Hi Stavros,

On 28 Dec 2021, at 3:04 pm, Stavros Panidis <stavros.panidis@gmail.com> wrote:

Old applications run with no problems but when I deploy the new one, built in Java 17, application does not start, even after I add:

--add-exports=java.base/sun.security.action=ALL-UNNAMED

in JavaMonitor (Additional arguments).

I ran into this issue a few months ago, and discussed it in #java on Slack. The problem is that the application launch script inside the WOA bundle does some magic on all the arguments to get them into the right place on the eventual command line invocation. There are two issues: (a) --add-exports needs to appear before the Java class name on the command line; but (b) the launch script pre-dates the existence of any arguments that look like that, and hence doesn't move it. So it's appearing on the command line after the class name, and has no effect.

There's an easy fix, but you need to be using Maven to build: wolifecycle-maven-plugin 2.5 will add options like this to the *ClassPath.txt files, where they will be honoured on launch. You can specify them in build.properties.

https://github.com/wocommunity/wolifecycle-maven-plugin/pull/15

--
Paul Hoadley
https://logicsquad.net/

Markus Ruggiero

rucotec GmbH                        web https://rucotec.ch
Steinenvorstadt 79                email markus.ruggiero@rucotec.ch
4051 Basel / Switzerland         mobile +41 79 508 4701

Content Unaltered as verified By:
<markus.ruggiero@rucotec.ch>