From: Jérémy DE ROYER <jeremy.deroyer@ingencys.net>
Subject: Re: [WO-DEV] Need conceptual help
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2022 16:20:53 +0000
To: WebObjects & WOnder Development <webobjects-dev@wocommunity.org>
Bonsoir Markus,

Each app on an iPad has a unique ID set when the app is installed.

In Swift code, I use the code below :
UIDevice.current.identifierForVendor!.uuidString

Using that, I can authorize the acces to an app for specific iPads.

I hope it will help you,

Jérémy

Le 10 avr. 2022 à 16:05, Markus Ruggiero (rucotec) <markus.ruggiero@rucotec.ch> a écrit :

Dear WO-ers, I need your expertise.

I want to have a defined set of tablets (iPad) tied into my application. The tablets act as a satellite device in the context of a customer checking into a clinic. The person comes up to the registration desk and is checked in. The receptionist sees that there is some registration data missing and hands the patient a tablet with the running application (or directs the customer to "use the green screen over there”). The receptionist should now be able to remotely open the registration screen on that green iPad, the customer filling in the data and then pressing Save.

My train of thoughts goes like this:

As a one-time operation an admin opens the application from that green iPad, goes to a registration screen, and creates a “Satellite" entry in the database. This entry gets a UUID (or something similar) and that UUID should be put into the green iPads Web Storage. This is a one-time registration of the device (actually the browser on that device, not the device itself).
When the workday starts the receptionist logs into the application on the green iPad and goes to a dedicated screen. This screen then polls every couple of seconds whether there is some task available on the server. There may be a number of different tasks that the receptionist can create. The receptionist assigns such a task to the green iPad (or the red one or...) as an entry in the database and the polling iPad then displays the task screen. This kind of pushes a task to a browser. When the task is done the iPad goes back to polling. The server also knows that the green iPad is busy or not.

I need to identify the polling iPad and I want to pre-register the iPad as a security measure.

How would you tackle such a requirement?
Thanks
---markus---