From: Aaron Rosenzweig <aaron@chatnbike.com>
Subject: How to get ERExtensions to compile in modern java?
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2022 12:05:11 -0500
To: WebObjects & WOnder Development <webobjects-dev@wocommunity.org>
I’m struggling to get ERExtensions to compile in newer java. If we can figure this out, then it will help to get everything else to compile as well.

ERExtensions works when compiling in java 1.8 but after that, it probably doesn’t. I’m trying to do it with Java 17.

The immediate problem is with WOWebServicePatch.java in package com.webobjects.appserver._private in ERExtensions.

Reason:
The package org.w3c.dom is accessible from more than one module: <unnamed>,
java.xml

It’s trying to create an instance of “org.w3c.dom.Document” but cannot because it’s defined in multiple places which fouls up Java Modules (JPMS Java Platform Module System).

In the past, having multiple jars that redefine an object was fine and the first one wins. Now it’s an error (after Java 1.8).

It looks like “org.w3c.dom.Document” is defined both in JavaXML.framework (NeXT/Apple I believe) and also natively in Java 17.

So I removed “JavaXML” from the classpath to see what would happen. It solved that problem but created more. It now doesn’t know about: org.apache.axis

I guess I could get axis.jar (1.4.1) but… wondering what is the best course of action here.

Any advice?

Thank you,
— Aaron